Monday, May 22, 2006

Google Alerts in the classroom

Google Alerts
From the Google Alerts website:
"Google Alerts are email updates of the latest relevant Google results (web, news, etc.) based on your choice of query or topic.

Some handy uses of Google Alerts include:
  • monitoring a developing news story
  • keeping current on a competitor or industry
  • getting the latest on a celebrity or event
  • keeping tabs on your favorite sports teams"
This tool could be used with students to monitor an issue over a period of time. As a teacher, you may wish to have the alerts sent to a clasroom e-mail address. With older students, they could use the tool more independently. It could be particularly interesting for monitoring a news story.

This could be an interesting tool for teachers to follow certain areas, related to a particular interest. An interesting way to keep abreast of current issues and target your reading, I think this tool would best be used in small doses. Tools should help you perform a job better, not make it harder.

In this case, Google Alerts offers the opportunity to provide the user with timely updates on self-selected issues. Whether it be current affairs in general, or a particular subject area, this tool could be of help. I have signed up for alerts on educational technology and community schools to be received once a week. I have time set aside every thursday at lunch to do my reading online. If I don't set aside time, it can become unwieldly and overwhelming.

I will report back in a few weeks with regards to how Google Alerts is working for me - I've already made a note of it in my calendar!

No comments: